Friday, May 30, 2008

Big Sigh in the Sky


As I was getting ready for bed tonight, I couldn't help but feel as if my entire body was engaged in this big, long sigh. Its inspiration was that I just wished for once my love life could be simple and easy. It was a sigh . . . not of remorse, perhaps of wistfulness.

I realized that so often, whenever I stop engaging in the point A to point B, in the exhilaration and stimulation of getting things done, that I often cannot help but sigh. It's like I have taken a step back, gained some perspective on the situation and cannot help but sigh. In fact, my sister and I have bonded in the fact that we both very often sigh. There is something about the act of sighing that is cathartic, cleansing, revelatory, releasing.

It made me wonder, though, if perhaps the afterlife will just be one big, long sigh. As our spirits leave these mortal tabernacles and we are able to take a step back and gain perspective on our earthly putterings, will we be compelled to merely sigh? Maybe even to sigh for all eternity?

And what kind of sigh? A sigh of contentment? Gratification? Chagrin? Dismay? Wistfulness? Irritation?

No comments: